Reflection for Youth - Lent 2020


And so Lent begins!  I am writing this on Ash Wednesday.  At Sixth Church, we eat pancakes the evening before Lent begins.  I ate Pancakes - and they were good.

Lent is a time when we count down the 40 days until we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. 
It is a time when we are called as followers of Christ to repent, spend time examining our lives, and think about our relationship with God.  Some people give up things for 40 days.  Some people take on something like a daily practice or developing a new habit.  


I always try and challenge myself to either give something up or do something new during Lent. I haven't figured out yet what my "thing" will be this year - but I have until the end of the day to decide. I'll let you know when I do. I want to give it some more thought because I want it to be something that is meaningful and challenging - but not something so tricky that it takes away from the reason why I am doing it.  Last year, I wrote a thank-you letter to someone every day.  It was time-consuming and challenging, but it helped me reflect on all the people in my life for whom I am grateful. 


Have you ever tried to give something up for Lent?  Or taken on a new challenge?


Whatever you may decide to do - or decide not to do- I encourage you to take some time during this Lent to think about God and where you see God working in the world and your daily life.


Here are some suggestions for things to start with:


 I really like this daily online devotional. Just click the link or subscribe to have it sent to your email everyday. 

https://d365.org

A few years ago I did a Lent practice with photos. Following a list of prompts, I reflected on the word took/posted a photo that represented that word.  Here is a list of words for 2020 that you might want to try:
(I found this one on the website for the United Methodist Church)

Here is a list of daily readings for Lent 2020 if you want to dive into daily Bible reading: 

Also, check out the table in the sanctuary for Lent Resources.


Comments

Popular Posts