Fourth Week of Advent - Stars and Light


"When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with Joy." - Matthew 2:10 


I know, I know - we usually read the scripture about the wise men when we celebrate the Epiphany of the Lord - which is usually in January. But this year, with Christmas and New Year's falling on Sunday (and we are having church only) we will be moving along to celebrate the Baptism of the Lord and skipping over Epiphany.

I wanted to make sure that we didn't miss out on the story of the Magi  - so that's what we talked about during the Time for Children Sunday and it's what I am thinking about during this fourth week of Advent.  This story - that only appears in the Gospel of Matthew -  about the wise men who notice the star in the sky and follow the light.

Read Matthew 2:1-12




Do you ever think of how to make a good entrance?  Maybe you’re going to a party, or maybe you’re meeting someone for the first time. What if we had a spotlight shining on us? What if you could have a star come and hover over you? I think that this star in the sky was the perfect way to mark the entrance of God into the world. 

I've been thinking this week that in all the darkness of winter - the idea of a warm glowing light in the sky is perfectly what the world needs. Winter is upon us and the temperature is dropping.  The snow is falling and we are having more and more of those gloomy and gray Pittsburgh days. For most of us when we head home at the end of the day its dark and cold. 

It’s so easy to sink into the darkness this time of year. Darkness. Waiting. Yuck. 
I feel like I am always stumbling around in the darkness. 

So, this week I am reminding myself about the light. Taking time to look around at the Christmas lights and trying to remember Christmas Eve is right around the corner and Jesus was born into the world to bring light – so we wouldn’t have to stumble around in the spiritual darkness.  








Comments

Popular Posts