Sunrise at El Porvenir

A group of 23 (16 youth and 7 adults) traveled to Nicaragua June 25-July 3. We were hosted by the mission organization CEPAD located in Managua and spent four days at the remotely located coffee cooperative called El Porvenir situated high in the mountains outside of Leon.  The days at El Porvenir were spent learning about the cooperative, getting to know the people that live there and teaching music and art to the children and adults.  Below is the first of probably many entries about the trip.  


Sunrise at El Porviner
    
 I will start with a reflection from near the end of our trip.
   
     The porch of the hacienda where we camped out during our time spent at El Porvenir, Nicaragua, has the most amazing view. The coffee cooperative is located on a mountainside outside the city of Leon, Nicaragua. On our last night at El Porvenir, the youth started talking about wanting to get up and watch the sunrise over the mountains from the porch. I have to admit that I had my doubts that this would happen. Everyone was already exhausted. We had traveled much, worked hard, and played hard over the past few days. We were about to spend our fourth night of restless sleep after rising early with the sun and roosters each morning. After much debate over what time the sun would begin its journey upward, it was decided that I would set my alarm for 4:15 and would wake those who assured me that they wanted to get up. Then off to bed we went. My alarm went off and I first woke the girls sleeping closest to me and headed off to the porch to nudge the guys who also had requested a wake-up call.
     I settled myself in a rocking chair, stretched my dirty feet out on to the railing, got comfortable – and I waited. And then something miraculous happened. The teenagers actually got out of bed. One by one, they started to filter out from their cots and hammocks. After a trip down to the “Internet Cafe” (which is the nickname for the outhouse – because it’s where you download), people began to settle in on the porch.  Stretching and yawning, we all started speculating about which spot on the porch or what angle of our chairs would allow us the optimal view. 
     As the sun came peeking over the mountains, we talked about the colors in the sky, how we were starting to recognize the many roosters by their early morning crows, and how we couldn't believe that our time on the mountain was already coming to an end. I remember thinking as I sat there how this was one of those precious moments in life that needed to be savored and remembered. This was one of those times when I recognized that I may never be in such a beautiful place with these same people again, and my insides are overflowing with love and gratitude. Away from technology, the 24-hour news cycle, and the stress of adolescence, these young people got up to watch the sunrise because they wanted to experience the beauty of God’s creation, and they wanted to do it together. While they talked, laughed and told stories, I thought to myself that THIS is church. THIS is the Holy Spirit at work. THIS is why we go on mission trips.

Comments

Popular Posts