Sweet Child of Mine

On Sunday (1/12) The lectionary passage was from the Gospel of Matthew 3: 13-17.  Our elementary students during Sunday school explored the story of Jesus' baptism and we talked about it again during the Time for Children during worship.  Rev. Roth offered a time for the reaffirmation of our baptism and welcomed ALL - baptized or not - to come forward and take a stone from the baptismal font or receive the sign of the cross on your hand with water. Baptism is one of the two sacraments that the Presbyterian Church holds as an outward symbol of our faith. (Communion is the other.)  We sang "Down to the River" which is a beautiful, repetitive song that invites everyone - sister, father, mother, brother, sinner  - to the water to be baptized. If you haven't seen the movie "O'Brother Where Art Thou ?" by the Coen brothers you should definitely check it out. Watch the video below for a little preview. 


The scripture tells us that after Jesus was baptized in the water Jesus saw the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of God come down like a dove and a voice from the heavens said “You are my Child and I am pleased.” For me, remembering Jesus’ baptism and remembering our own baptism is a way that I am reminded that God loves me, God claims me as his child, and that I belong to God. I was particularly moved on Sunday by the words of the offertory anthem . "Here is my Son, Listen to Him," sang the choir, reminding me that not only does God love us and claim us but he sent his Son to teach more about his love.


This is a photo I found of my baptism in 1972.  I was baptized
 by my grandfather who was a United Church of Christ Pastor.
 My mother still has the dress that I wore. 
"Here is my Son, Listen to Him"

Most of us don't remember our baptisms. Here are some things that may help you talk with your families about baptism and it's meaning: 

  • If your child was baptized as a baby - talk with them about what the day was like. Where did it take place? What did they wear? Who was there? What was the weather like? Share with them how you felt on that day. Or, talk with them about what you know about your own baptism or when you witnessed the baptisms of friends or families or fellow church members. 
  • There are many different traditions and methods of baptism throughout many denominations and faiths. Talk about different ways you have seen or learned about people being baptized.  Some are baptized with water on the head when they are small. Some traditions baptize adults by immersion. Talk about what these would be like. 
  • Baptism is a time when families and the church make a promise to teach, nurture us and show us the love of Christ. Talk about all the different ways you can share Christs' love with another person.
The Thoughtful Christian, which is a great site for progressive resources and study guides, has a guide for parents which you can find here: Teaching your Child about Baptism


Here some resources other resources about baptism on the PC(U.S.A.) website:   PC (U.S.A.) Resources












Comments

Popular Posts