Books ! January 2022

Hey there, It's been a while since I have recommended any books. Here are a few that I've found recently or rediscovered.  I haven't found these in our local library yet but you can order them from your favorite local bookseller. (Or borrow them from me!) 

"I Wonder: Exploring God's Grand Story: an Illustrated Bible" by Glenys Nellist 

Nellist has written a bunch of children's books but I think this is her first story Bible. I like the way a lot of women's stories are included and the inclusive language for God. The illustrations are vibrant and not cartoon-ish and the people are not white :) Each story is wrapped up with Godly Play-like "I Wonder" questions that encourage readers to ask their own questions. I like the straightforward and uncomplicated way the stories are told. It is written for ages 4 and up. I think this is accurate although some of the stories are on the longer side for younger readers.  




"The World Jesus Knew: A Curious Kid's Guide to Life in the First Century" 
by Marc Olson and Jemima Maybank

Maps! Charts! Graphs! colorful infographics! This book has info all about the culture Jesus lived in the Jewish Religion, the Roman Empire, and tons of other stuff. Fisherman! Carpenters! Shepherds! learn about them all. 




"Difficult Riddles for Smart Kids" by M. Prefontaine

I love this book but HATE the title. There are riddles, logic questions, brain teasers. This would be great for dinner-time conversation, long walks in the park, or car trips! Answers are in the back for when you get stumped. 

Comments

Popular Posts