Reflections for Youth: Staying Open

There is this combination lock in my desk drawer.  It's open - hasn't been clicked shut - and I don't remember the combination.   I think it's from my high school locker.  I haven't gotten rid of it because I am hoping that one day I will remember the combination. Every time I look at it I am tempted to click it shut. But I don't, because it reminds me that I need to stay open to new thoughts, ideas, and people.  

Here is what I am thinking about this week: 

How do we stay open to God?

In what ways do we close ourselves off to to new ideas and new things?

Am I taking the time to listen and to be open to see and hear how God is working in the world? 


The gospel passage for this week is a story about Jesus healing a deaf man.  Read Mark 7: 31-27

Jesus is brought a man that can't hear or talk and is begged to put his hand on him and heal him.  (Sorry not sorry about about the upcoming puns.)  I can imagine how frustrating it would feel for this man to be all locked up - with no easy way of communicating with others.  The scripture says that Jesus takes the man away from the crowd, puts his fingers in his ears, spits (yuck!), and touches the man's tongue. 

 Jesus looks to heaven and says the words "Ephphatha" which mean "be open."   
And the man is healed.

So you could make a lot of puns here - Jesus had the right combination of actions.  Jesus heals by unlocking the man's ears and mouth. Okay, I'll stop. 

Anyway,  I am thinking this week about the part where Jesus steps away from the crown with the man and looks to heaven, like he is listening for God.  He takes a quick time out in this busy scene to maybe ask God for help - and then take action.  I am reminded this week,  just like the lock in my drawer, that I need to stay open.  I need to keep asking for help and listening to God even in my busiest moments. 



Comments

Popular Posts