Reflections: On The Mountaintop






The Old and New Testament passages of scripture this week are about mountaintop experiences. In Exodus 24: 12-18, Moses goes up to the mountain top to hear from the Lord and must wait. For six days. 

 In Matthew 17: 1-9, Jesus takes Peter, James and his brother John up on a high mountain and was transfigured. "... his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white."

We reflected about our own personal mountain top experiences this week at Bible study. We talked about places where we have encountered God, felt the presence of God, or places where we have felt at peace. 

Where have these places been for you?

I have had a few: the top of the mountain at Jumonville (my childhood church camp), hiking at Window Rock while on a mission trip to Navajo Nation in Arizona, and again the literal top of the mountain experience at El Porviner in Nicaragua. All of these are places where I encountered God in one way or another. 

I read a book a while ago about how our brains develop through the teenage years. A study presented in the book said research shows we can recall information more easily if we are in the physical place where we learned it/heard it the first time.  So, it makes sense that we yearn to go back to the places where we feel most connected to God. 

These spots I mentioned are the places I think about going back to when I feel lost and unconnected to God.  

I've been thinking about Moses this week and how patient he had to have been. Waiting for six days.  I hate waiting.  I’m sure I’m not good at it either. But, when I do wait, that’s when I find something in myself that was quietly just there. That something is my connection with God and his peace. 

We can't stay forever on those mountaintops - we must come down and live in the world. But on crazy days, it helps me to reflect upon those experiences and open myself up to the possibilities of new ones.   

Where are the places that you encountered God in the world today? 

Reflect upon and take comfort in those places.


Comments

Popular Posts