Reflections: Resources for Processing a Heavy Week



It's certainly been a week.

The results of the presidential election have left so many people that I love confused, angry, and wondering what the new leadership will mean for them and their families.

Also, this week the county where I live was rocked with tragedy when a local police officer was killed and another wounded while responding to a domestic violence call. 

As I have personally tried to process the events and emotions of the week, I found the lectionary passage for Sunday from the Gospel of Luke timely and very comforting. 

In Luke 21: 5-19 (Read the Scripture Here),  people were gathered and talking about the Temple and admiring the beautiful stone.  Jesus warns them there will be a time when the Temple will be destroyed and times will be dark. In this passage, Jesus talks about remembering God when we are afraid and that God will always be with us. Jesus promises the people that he would be with them and that not a hair on their heads would be harmed if they put their trust in him.

Jesus has also promised to help us when we are afraid.  We know that some fear can be a good thing, but sometimes, like this week, we can be so overwhelmed with our fears that they keep us from enjoying life. 
This week I am reminding myself that Jesus has promised to help us when we are afraid.  My prayers are for those that I love that are processing fear, crisis, and tragedy.  I pray and continue to try to put my trust in God's promise to be with us when we are afraid. 
Below are some odds and ends of links that might be helpful reading:


What Teenagers Need From Us  ( This article is about another type of "wall") 


Places to go for help:

Comments

Popular Posts