Shame ... and it's price






I watched this video a while ago when it first went online and friends were sharing. One friend posted this video describing it in only two words - "crushing" and "important."  I agree.  This isn't about politics or presidential scandals. This is about real people. This is about how we judge others, how we treat each other, and how we shame each other.  We need to always remind ourselves that in our "viral"  culture of instant information and social media there are real people behind all the videos, posts, comments, and news stories.  And we need to remember to treat each other as Jesus taught us - with love, kindness and empathy. Please watch!
 
 
 
 
"At the age of 22, I fell in love with my boss, and at the age of 24, I learned the devastating consequences. Can I see a show of hands of anyone here who didn't make a mistake or do something they regretted at 22? Yep. That's what I thought. So like me, at 22, a few of you may have also taken wrong turns and fallen in love with the wrong person, maybe even your boss. Unlike me, though, your boss probably wasn't the president of the United States of America."



I recently read this book on the topic of public shaming  - and it was really interesting. Author Jon Ronson meets and writes about people who have been involved  high-profile public shamings. These are folks who made a bad joke on social media or made a mistake at work. These are folks who were fired over their transgressions, torn apart by the media and demonized for something they said. This book takes a look at the part we all play in shaming that goes "viral." It's available at the library and on Amazon.






Comments

Popular Posts