Help for Parents



Here are two book recommendations that might be helpful to parents.  Have you found a parenting resource that has helped your family? If so please share in the comments!


The "1-2-3 Magic"  book by Thomas W. Phelan was recommended to me by more than one parent.  One friend said, "That book helped me not commit murder!" So I thought I would check it out. Turns out this parenting helper is quite popular and there have been several updated editions. There is also a "1-2-3 Magic" book for teachers.  The copy I borrowed from by local library is the 3rd edition published in 2003. The librarian told me it's worn, quite popular and always  checked out. 
It's an easy read with a little humor and offers parents tips on dealing with kids age 2 to 12 without yelling or arguing.  I particularly like the fact that the author stresses the fact that no two children are going to behave and respond the say way and that parents are often tired, overwhelmed and there is no magic wand. The book offers ten strategies for building self-esteem in kids and looks at common types of testing and manipulation a parent can expect.  I think this book would also be a great help for grandparents and babysitters as well. 



"1000 Best Tips for ADHD" by Susan Ashley is awesome. This is also an easy read and the list of tips is divided into topics. The topics I found most helpful were sections on better behavior, interrupting, and tips for the classroom.  This book has a ton of great background info, resources and helps for parents trying to understand Attention Deficit Disorder and its many forms.  This one is available for borrowing at the Squirrel Hill Carnegie Library.  



Comments

Popular Posts