Dear Diary: Nicaragua



A group of 23 (16 youth and 7 adults) traveled to Nicaragua June 25-July 3. We were hosted by the mission organization CEPAD located in Managua and spent four days at the remotely located coffee cooperative called El Porvenir situated high in the mountains outside of Leon.  The days at El Porvenir were spent learning about the cooperative, getting to know the people that live there and teaching music and art to the children and adults.  Here is another entry about the trip.

Dear Diary: Nicaragua 
While on the trip, we kept a community journal in which the youth could write as they felt called to about their experience. Below are some entries from the journal printed here with their permission.  These are in random order and we will be using first names only for those who wish to be identified. Enjoy and check back for more entries in the future!



      Today was very interesting. It was the first time we got to see Managua in the daylight. Before we stepped out of the hotel, however, we listened to two lectures. The first was about CEPAD, the organization that we are working with in Nicaragua. I liked that their programs ranged and didn't just stick to one issue they had to solve. After taking a short break we began our second lecture. I hoped that this one would be short so we could get out and see the city. Although it wasn't as short as I expected it to be it was actually pretty interesting. The history professor, originally from Wyoming, was able to answer all of our questions about Nicaragua in a simple timeline. By the time she was done we had learned much about the culture and history of Nicaragua. Although she talked less about the arts eh did draw our attention to a concert that was tonight. The concert will feature music of the revolution.  Andrew





The thing that made almost dying on the tractor ride up to El Porvenir was the human interactions we all had with the people our age. Apparently we were the first group to all socialize with them on the first say, which is odd. It seemed like a natural thing to do.

                Two years ago, the situation was different though because there were much fewer of us than them, so having a more even number made the situation more comfortable. Despite the language barrier, having a few translators and reasonable hand gestures was enough for us to talk about music, dancing, books, colors, etc. I think this will be crucial to our helping them learn our art and music concepts. Not only will we be friendlier, but I believe our initial interactions humanized the Nicaraguans to us, and maybe did the same for them.
      I've been struggling with my whole perception of myself and our group “American” or “United Statesians” since we arrived in Managua. Just attempting to have a conversation, arm wrestling, and laughing with them has helped me see myself as more than a United Statesian, and to see them as more than Nicaraguans. Eli


     Monday: Our last day at El Porvenir:   This whole day I've been reflecting on my time here at this farm. Before arriving I was apprehensive because I thought there would be a huge culture gap and that we wouldn't be able to discover Nicaragua and her people in our own way.   I like how on the first night we hung out with the other youth here. The only problem was the language barrier but even then we managed to communicate. I met Justino that night and we talked the whole time. I am really bad at small talk so I asked him deep questions like “If you had all the money in the world what would you do with it.” At first he chuckled and said, “ I don’t know” but I assured him I wouldn't laugh. “  I want to help poor people all over Nicaragua,” he said.  I followed up by asking where he would move. “I’d stay here. This is my home,” he said.  What touched me the most was when I apologized for speaking very mediocre Spanish as he said “It’s okay we’re equals. We’re friends.” It amazed me that after a half hour of speaking, we became friends. And every day after he would wave to me and give me a huge smile. I thought that the community members would be fake-nice to us because they had to but I genuinely felt that they were happy to see different faces.  It was interesting during the classes, some of the guys would recognize me and make some bracelets but while doing so they tell me about what music they like to listen to and what they would do with their friends.   Sorry if I am writing in a stream of consciousness-type of way. I‘m overwhelmed but not in a bad way. I am just so in love with El Provenir. The simplicity “brought me back to earth” and opened my mind not only to another culture, but how amazing and great the world is and can be.  The only difficult/bad part was that I couldn't get a good night sleep because I was so excited for the next day.  If it was possible I would spend many weeks here. I wouldn't mind working on the farm at all. I just really enjoy the company of the Nicaraguans! (and our group, of course)
     My favorite moment was learning to make tortillas because I met some women and through them I met more of the community. It was interesting to see domestic life here. In the United States I would NEVER make tortillas in a kitchen that hot! Nor would I make food for the whole community of people every day of my life. Up until that last sentence It didn't hit me that they might not think of a year like we do.  I think they look at time as a day to day thing not a big picture, if that even makes sense. I unfortunately get too caught up in technology so time passes by too quickly for my liking. Being here at El Porvenir taught me the value of time and how I should be spending it. Sonia


     Last night we discussed poverty (what makes people poor) and how it related to El Povenir. I honestly don’t think these people are poor. Sure their standard of living is different, but they are content with what they have (I am making a generalization). When Sonia asked Juntino what he would do with all the money in the world, he laughed. He said he would give it to the poor and he had everything he wanted right with him.  During the talk, Kyle mentioned that much of the bad happened behind the scenes – out of the eyes of the rich “United Statesians.” While this is true, I am not sure if this makes them poor…      On the first day, I definitely have called the people of El Porvenir poor. They have thatched roves, dirt floors, outhouses, and a lack of plumbing. Yet know I see a village full of hard working people. Their eagerness to learn and hospitality toward us really spoke to me.  It made me in some ways ashamed to be American. We are so lazy and ungrateful for the things that we have.  I am not gonna lie, I hate school and think that it is a waste of years of my life. But the kids waited outside of the school and milled around the exterior of our sleeping quarters. They were totally engrossed with what we had to offer. We really take what we have for granted and we waste a crap ton of water and resources.
     When we toured the farm, Renee explained how they composted cow manure and extracted every worm from the compost every 15 days to make fertilizer. I realized how advanced they were. I say this in the way that we would view El Provenir as uncivilized as they don’t use genetically modified fertilizer/plants tractors, etc. But they maximized productivity with the resources they were given and I have to admit, taking outdoor showers were really refreshing.
      I guess you could El Porvenir poor in the American physical sense. But these people have hearts of gold. At some point, I felt like they were the ones helping us. But that’s okay. As we discussed pre-Nicaragau, we’re not doing this for them, we are doing this with them.  Name withheld






Comments

Popular Posts