Staying Connected - March 2020


“This feels hard because it is hard.”
This sentence has stuck with me this week as we go about trying to navigate the world from our homes and in front of our computers.  I was doing well last week keeping up with a lot of you through Facebook, texting, and email.  We used the Zoom platform to hold Bible study and youth group. But then Sunday rolled around and we were not physically together. I had taken a week off the earlier in the month so it was the third Sunday for me to not travel into the city for church.  Throughout the morning I kept looking at the clock and thinking, “We would be in Sunday school right now” or “it’s time for coffee hour.” So, like probably all of you, I am missing our church family and wishing we could be together.

“This feels hard because it is hard,” wrote a pastor in a blog post on the Building Faith website. Technology is wonderful but it’s still not the same as being with our church community to worship, learn, and play together. I’ve been thinking about all the things that we would be preparing for in the usual way in the coming week like Palm Sunday, Easter worship, our Easter hunt in Sunday school, and the family retreat that is scheduled for May 9-10.  The planning for these things is in a holding pattern for now as we, well, wait and see.  As I write this, I am communicating with Camp Crestfield to find out what our options for the family retreat and I will keep you posted.  Tom Petty wasn’t joking when we wrote the song lyrics “The waiting is the hardest part.”

But what is giving me hope? It’s all of you! I love seeing and hearing about all the ways you have been finding to be creative at home and connect with each other in these frustrating times.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers as we are taking things week by week.  
I know that as we all adjust into new routines, managing working from home, school closures, and social distancing and staying at home, you are most likely bombarded and overwhelmed with information and resources.  I want to keep it simple and don't want to add to the abundance of online/virtual stuff out there. 

Here are the ways that we can continue to "do church” together in the coming weeks: 

You can participate in worship by visiting our church website. We will be posting the Sunday bulletin which will include liturgy, scripture readings, hymns, audio recordings of the sermon and various parts of the liturgy, and a video of our Time for Children.  www.sixthchurch.org.
Some ideas for worshiping at home with your young people:

·   Light some candles!  – This is an important and popular part of our worship service and you can recreate this at home. Take a pause with your family light candles together and talk about the things that you are praying for.
·       Sing! – the online worship includes the hymns for the week. Or just gather together and sing your favorites.
·       Read the scriptures. Grab a Bible and read the scriptures out loud together. For younger kids use a story Bible is you have one. If you don’t have a story Bible, some of my favorite story Bibles are available on Kindle to download. Here are a few suggestions:

Growing in God's Love: A Story Bible Kindle Edition by Elizabeth F. Caldwell and  Carol A              Wehrheim

Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name Kindle Edition by Sally LloydJones 

365 Read-Aloud Bedtime Bible Stories  by Daniel Partner and Kathy Arbuckle

  


I will be using this blog as a place to post and share information. Weekly Sunday school lessons for grades 1-6 will be posted each week if you would like to do them at home with your family. The lesson plans contain a narrative version of the weekly passages, background on the passages, and activities and questions for responding to the story. I will also be posting other resources, information, and ideas on how we can stay connected as a church family. 

Youth Fellowship will continue to happen at our usual time, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, virtually through Zoom. I will be sending out the meeting link weekly via email. 

The weekly Wednesday Adult Bible study will be held through the video conferencing app/site called Zoom. If you would like to participate please send an email to the church office office@sixthchurch.org and we will send you the link to the scheduled zoom meeting. 

Stay in touch! I am always available and want to hear from you! If you are a Facebook user join the Friends of Sixth Presbyterian Church group for more info as well.  Please share! If you have resources, games or activities that have been helping you get through this time please pass your ideas along and I will share them with others.

Let me know what I can do to support you in the coming weeks. I am available for via email, phone calls or texting, Face Time and online chats! Want me to read a story to your kids? Or to say hello!  I’d love to hear from you.   

How to reach me:
Jenny Newman
(412) 720-6392
Jennyrunew@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts