Reflections for Youth - God is with us on the cloudy days

It's been a week! 

I missed some days of work this week because I was sick. It never fails that at some point every fall I get a bad cold. And this was my week.  Also this week, the presidential impeachment hearings began and there was another shooting at a high school in California.  I have some close friends that are going through some really tough times.  

Sigh.
It's been a week.  Do you ever have weeks or days like this? 
When you feel like there is a dark and stormy cloud hovering overhead? 
Yep, we all do. 

The Gospel of Luke tells a story about a time when Jesus gave the disciples some words of comfort for when they afraid and facing tough times. 


Jesus and the disciples were in view of the Temple in Jerusalem.  Jesus was listening to his followers who were talking about how beautiful stones and all the fancy things that were used to build the building. The disciples were excited to see the temple and they thought it was an amazing building.

Jesus, in his usual fashion, responded to them by teaching them about God.  

Jesus told them: “One day, all these things will be gone and the temple won’t last forever, but God’s love will. Even when there will be trouble God’s love will be strong.”

Jesus told them that people might tell them things that are not true about God and not to listen to them. Jesus basically says  “Scary things will happen. Storms and other events will make you feel afraid. But God is always with us."  Jesus says that God will give us words and wisdom and will help us know what to do and how to respond. 

Jesus gives us words of comfort.  So, even in really scary situations when it feels like everything is falling apart - Jesus reminds his disciples and us that God is with us. 
  
So, this week I am reminding myself that Jesus has promised to help us when we are afraid.  My prayers are for those that I love that are processing fear, crisis, and tragedy.  I pray and continue to try to put my trust in God's promise to be with us when we are afraid. 

Comments

Popular Posts