Reflections for Youth - 23rd Psalm


The Psalm we will be using in church this week is so familiar.  I know it's one of the things I memorized it as a child.  Most often this is the scripture you will hear at funerals because the words reassure us that Christ is with us through shadow and darkness.  It provides us with the image of Jesus as a shepherd. Taking care of us, leading us, and going ahead to protect us. 


When was the last time you heard this passage? 

This week I encourage you to read it again. Take your time, breathe, and slowly think about what the words are speaking to you.  This passage is so loved and repeated because it provides words of comfort and reminds us that God is with us always.  

When I read or hear these words I am reminded that no matter what is happening to me, the people around me, or in the world, God is near.  

Read it slowly.  Read it out loud to yourself. Let the words swirl around in your head. 
Psalm 23  (NRSV)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.     He makes me lie down in green pastures;he leads me beside still waters;     he restores my soul.He leads me in right paths    for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley,    I fear no evil;for you are with me;    your rod and your staff—    they comfort me. You prepare a table before me    in the presence of my enemies;you anoint my head with oil;    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me    all the days of my life,and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord    my whole life long.


Here is another version -  See how this one feels. 

Psalm 23 (The Message)      God, my shepherd!    I don’t need a thing.You have bedded me down in lush meadows,    you find me quiet pools to drink from.True to your word,    you let me catch my breath    and send me in the right direction.  Even when the way goes through    Death Valley,I’m not afraid    when you walk at my side.Your trusty shepherd’s crook    makes me feel secure.  You serve me a six-course dinner    right in front of my enemies.You revive my drooping head;    my cup brims with blessing.  Your beauty and love chase after me    every day of my life.I’m back home in the house of God    for the rest of my life.
What would be your version of this passage? What words would you chose? Take a few minutes this week with pen and paper and see how you would rewrite this passage. 

Here is my version this week: 

The Lord is always taking care of me and that's all I need. God is like the mother that gives me a glass a water, pats me on the head,and then tucks me safely into bed. When I feel lost I trust that God will be there to recalculate my GPS. When I wander into those places that are dangerous, God is always near to show me a glimpse of flickering light in the darkness.  God's presence comforts my anxious mind.God gives me every grace that I don't deserveAnd so much mercy  - instead of what I do deserve. God will always protect me like a mother at bedtime. And I will sleep soundly with God's people.



Comments

Popular Posts