Reflections: Jesus is the Garlic Bread of Life

Jesus said " I am the garlic bread of life..."    

Okay, no he didn't. But he did say he was the "bread of life."

But I really love garlic bread - it's my favorite. So, guess what I am thinking about this week? Yes, bread.  I am also thinking about what Jesus being "the bread of life" means for me.  

What's your favorite kind of bread? (OK - this is making me hungry!) If you think about it, bread is something that people all over the world eat.  It can look different and taste different and can be called by all different names.  That's probably why Jesus used it to describe himself. 

Jesus often used things that people would be familiar with as an example to help people know more about him.


In this week’s scripture, the people following Jesus are asking him questions to try to figure out how God wants them to live. They asked Jesus “What does God want from us—help us to know how God wants us to live?”  They remembered the stories about the people hungry in the wilderness and how God fed them with mana– the bread that came from heaven. 

(You guys, remember that story from the Old Testament when it literally rained bread? Oh, man - now if rained garlic bread that would be heaven!)

Jesus told them that yes, God fed their ancestors bread and that God gave them life.

And the people said “ well, we want bread like that, too.”

And then in Jesus told them (paraphrased)


“I am the bread of life. I am the nourishment that feeds you. Anyone that follows me will not go hungry. If you listen to what I am saying and what I am teaching, you will not be thirsty."


Jesus shared a lot of meals with people during his life. He ate with his family, he ate on the road with his friends. He ate fish on the beach after his friends brought in the day’s catch. He ate meals at parties and weddings and there are many stories in the Bible about Jesus feeding people when they are hungry.  (I secretly imagine that Jesus loves garlic bread, too.)  So for me, I think that Jesus is saying that his teachings about God's love for the world and how we should treat each other is - well,  life. 


Here is what I am thinking about this week: 

There are so many stories in the Bible about Jesus eating with people. Sharing a meal with people is sacred.  So why do I sometimes eat alone?  I sometimes eat alone in front of the TV or while reading a book. Who could I reach out to that might be lonely and want to share a meal?

How have you seem or felt God giving you life this week? Are there friends and family that give you life? Who can you share a meal with that gives you life?




Comments

Popular Posts