Reflections - Harry, Frodo, Luke, and Isaiah


This week our Old Testament passage is this very bizarre story from the book of Isaiah where the prophet describes what is known as his "call story."

The passages tell of a time when God calls Isaiah to serve him and at first Isaiah says, "Who me?" 

The scripture is full of fantastic images of angels and seraphs with robes and wings. Isaiah doesn't understand why God is speaking to him since he is a loser (actually he says he is a man of "unclean lips"- but loser sounds more relatable. ) He imagines himself as the least likely candidate to be called to be a prophet and to take God's message to the people. 

Here's the passage: (It's short so I will share the verses here.) 

Isaiah 6:1-8(NRSV)

A Vision of God in the Temple

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one called to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”
The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”
Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: “Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out.” Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I; send me!”
Here's what I am thinking about this week:

Harry Potter
Frodo Baggins
Luke Skywalker
The Prophet Isaiah..... 

What do these people have in common? At some point in their adventures, they all said, "Here I am. Send me."  They all said okay - despite their doubts about their abilities they will choose this calling. They will say yes to the adventures because of their hope and desire for a better world and the greater good. 
In "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" headmaster Dumbledore says,"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

Despite what these four thought they were capable of - they chose to believe those who told them they were worthy of love and had the potential to do great things.  We all are. 

God, throughout the Bible, calls the most unlikely people to lead and serve. God is calling you and me, too. So maybe we are not being called to defeat Voldemort, fight against the Empire, or return a ring. But we can all do this: Love God, love our neighbors, and love ourselves. 


Comments

Popular Posts