Reflections - Advent Week Three 2017


"The waiting is the hardest part

Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part"   - Tom Petty 


It's almost the end of the year! On Sunday, we lit the third Advent candle and now the countdown - the waiting - for Christmas has begun. We are waiting to celebrate the birth of Christ which brings us a sense of hope and a renewed sense of recognizing God working in the world.

Many of us are waiting for the little break we get between Christmas and New Year's Day. Time away from school, time to sleep in, see friends, hang out with family and recharge our batteries.
Doesn't it seem like the time and things we wait for are over so fast?

This week I am thinking about this waiting time - and intentionally trying to embrace and pay attention to what I am doing during the waiting days.

This week I made it a point to just wait  - with no distractions. It is my habit when I am waiting (or bored) to whip out my phone and check message, email, Facebook, etc. When I was waiting in the post office I just stood there.  I know, crazy right? I just looked around, talked to the people in front of me and paid attention to the world around me.  I did this all week. I made it a point to not look at my phone. I let my battery die. I pretended that I was out of data. And now I am kind of getting to like it. My brain feels less cluttered and I am just feeling like I have more space to think.

When Mary was waiting for the birth of her child she went to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, They rejoiced together in the blessings of their children about to be born. They waited together.  While they are together Mary delivers a song of praise to God.

Read Luke 1: 46-55

Some things to think about this weekend:

What do you do when you are waiting?
During these times of waiting - how can you clear some space for God?
What words does your song of praise to God include? For what are you most grateful?


Comments

Popular Posts