Reflections: It's like...





This week the scriptures take us to Matthew's Gospel where Jesus is teaching in parables.  I love Jesus's parables.  Some of them are pretty straight forward and understandable. But for some of them, I am frequently asking in my head "what the heck - Jesus."  Some parables are confusing, mysterious, and take a lot of thinking make just a little sense. It's like that line from the movie "The Princess Bride" where Vizzini keeps saying, "Inconceivable," in a variety of different situations.  Inigo says, "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."



     The passage starts with the story about the mustard seed.  Pretty easy to interpret: Even small things can produce great results. But then Jesus tells three more - talking about the treasures in a field, pearls, and fishing and separating the good fish from the bad fish.  
All of these parables start with Jesus saying, " the Kingdom of Heaven is like..."

I get them and I don't get them all at the same time. So, here's my arm-chair take on these parables. First - I think when Jesus talks about the "Kingdom of Heaven" he is not only talking about the Heaven beyond earth but also the presence of God on earth in our "Kingdom" right now.  Here are some take-aways:
  • The "Kingdom of heaven" and God's love, and our faith, can start small but become big.
  • Just a little bit of this "Kingdom of Heaven" is needed to create change.
  • The "Kingdom of Heaven" is so precious and priceless that people would give everything that they have just to get it.
  • The "Kingdom of Heaven" is filled good things that are not ruined by bad things.
Do you think these mean what I think they mean? Not totally inconceivable - but challenging to think about. 

Comments

Popular Posts